Gorgeous beaches, warm water and glorious sunshine all year-round: the dream holiday destination.
The former fishing village of Albufeira has expanded since the 1960s into one of the Algarve’s major holiday resorts and now has over 16.000 permanent residents. During the summer the old centre of the town with its plentiful collection of shops, bars, clubs and restaurants is filled-up with tourists from all over the world.
Aljezur is a small market town in two halves, dominated by the ruins of its hilltop Moorish Castle from which there are fine views over the surrounding countryside.
The town, not long ago just a collection of small shacks for fishing boats for the local residents of Pera, is nowadays composed of large blocks of holiday apartments with many bars and restaurants on the ground floor.
Faro is the administrative centre of the Algarve region with a population exceeding 40.000 people. The city has both Roman and Arab ruins, but most of the attractive older buildings have been built after the catastrophic earthquake of 1755.
During the Moorish occupation Lagoa was a small fortified hamlet under the control of the city of Silves. Today it is a rural city with declining agricultural importance, since many farmers found it more attractive to sell their land as plots instead of producing wine, carob beans and topsoil vegetable. In August an important commercial and rural product fair, Fatacil, is held in the town exhibiting products from all over Portugal.
Situated in the West of the Algarve, region of Portugal, Lagos was born under the sign of the sea. The settlement, whose origins are from a far distant past, and determined by the geographical shape of its bay. In fact, the first inhabitants probably come from as far back as the Neolithic period. People came from the Mediterranean basin - Phoenicians, Greeks and even Carthaginians.
The Luz parish, located 7 km away from Lagos town, owes its name to the village’ church (Igreja da Luz) that, though very affected by the 1755 earthquake, ended by being repaired with the local’s contribution.
The history of Monchique goes back to roman times, where the Romans were attracted by the thermal waters. The development of the town was attributed to the growth of the wool and flax mills; and to the Chestnut tree saw mills.
The history of Olhão is linked to the local fishing industry since the 17th Century when the town grew into existence. Already in 1882 the first canning factory for sardines and tuna was founded there, and similar factories spread along the Algarve coast.
Portimão is considered a must see place in the south of Portugal. It has grown significantly since 1924, after being given the status of city increasing its size and services.
Located next door to the famous resort of Vilamoura, Quarteira has grown since the 1960s from a small fishing village to a major tourist location. It acts as a dormitory for the many employees and companies engaged in the tourist industry.
Sagres will be always connected to the Portuguese Descoveries and its connection to the sea, since it was the place chosen by Infante D.Henrique as ideal for his ships and sea trade.
The origin of this town traces back to some 1.000 BC and it was already a notable place in Roman times. During the Moorish occupation in the early 11th Century it was given the name of Xelb.
Tavira is one of the architecturally most attractive towns in the Algarve. Its origin dates back around 2.000 bC, and during the Moorish occupation the fishing industry of this town was of great importance. In the 17th Century its port, located at the Gilão River, played a significant role shipping wine, salt and dried fish.
The district of Vila do Bispo with its 70.000 ha Parque Natural do Sudoeste Alentejano e Costa Vicentina is one of the few locations of the Algarve where the nature environment has been almost untouched and the rich cultural and historical heritage has been preserved.
The origin of this town at the Spanish border was a small fishing port, probably dating back to the Phoenicians. After the earthquake in 1755 the town was designed and rebuilt by the Marquês de Pombal, an important Portuguese minister of the 18th Century, who also redesigned the centre of the City of Lisbon.
Vilamoura is one of the largest single tourist complexes in Europe, covering an area of almost 2.000 ha of land. Parts of that land are covered with pine woods whilst others are open recovered marshland. The company owning the complex is extremely environmentally conscious, undertaking large effort to protect nature in the course of the further development.