Aljezur is a small market town in two halves, dominated by the ruins of its hilltop Moorish Castle from which there are fine views over the surrounding countryside. It was originally settled by the Moors in the 10th century and finally conquered by Christian forces in 1246. The oldest surviving building, apart from the castle, is the Misericordia Church built in the 16th century and rebuilt after the 1755 earth-quake.
There is a 16th-century pillory in the 5 de Outubro square. The newer half of the town is separated from the older by a fertile river valley. There are several really spectacular, unspoilt beaches in the vicinity. The most accessible are Amoreira, Monte Clerigo and Arrifana, easily reached from the riverside village of Odeceixe, 18 km north of Aljezur on the N 120.